Payment of Registration Fees
- EMBL encourages online payments for course and conference registration fees. For payments that are made by bank transfer, all bank transfer fees must be covered by the participant and may not be deducted from the amount remitted. All registration data submitted to EMBL will be treated confidentially.
- Upon registration a confirmation email will be sent automatically to the registrant. Participants are advised to have a copy of their registration confirmation and payment slip when going to the registration desk at the event in case they are requested to show proof of payment upon their arrival.
- For events with registration on a first come first served basis, this confirmation email serves as proof of registration and specifies all event details included in the registration.
- For events with registration only after a prior selection process, the confirmation email serves as proof of pre-registration. The outcome of the final selection, and, for those registrants who have been selected, the invitation to complete the full registration and make the payment of the registration fees, will be communicated via email to each registrant.
- The specific registration conditions applicable to each event are listed on the event website.
Online Registration for EMBL events is subject to the following payment conditions:
- For events with registration on a first come first served basis, EMBL must receive the payments for the registration fees as detailed on the event webpage before the registration can be confirmed. Admittance to the conference cannot be permitted without prior receipt of payment or a valid proof of payment.
- For events requiring a pre-selection process, payment will be required only after the invitation to full registration. The selection process usually takes 3-4 weeks after the registration deadline. The selected registrants will be invited for full registration and payment of the registration fee via email.
- In some cases late registrations can also be paid onsite. Such payments may be subject to an additional late registration fee, details are specified on the events website.
- Credit card payments will be processed via a secure online payment module (WorldPay) included in the EMBL registration form. Registration fees charged in EUR will be debited in EUR, Registration fees charged in GBP will be debited in GBP.
- EUR payments may be made through Visa and Master Card and America Express. GBP payments may be made through Visa, Master Card and Maestro. Specific payment conditions for each event are listed on the event website.
Conference / Course Application and Admission Processes
If your conference / course application is accepted (approved), you are expected to pay immediately to confirm your attendance and accommodations (if provided). In this regard, EMBL and its payment provider WorldPay collects your payment and billing information and will use such information to process your payments.
EMBL processes information about you, including personal data, in accordance with the EMBL Privacy Notice, which forms an integral part of these terms. For full information on data usage please see Information for Data Subjects.
If you are accepted to a conference/course, we will use your personal information to:
- process your payments and thus your registration and facilitate your attendance at the event
- provide you with information regarding the conference / course, including scheduling and logistics
- provide you with other information that we believe may be of interest to conference / course attendees.
We may also share personal information (other than payment information) of conference/course attendees (e.g. in the abstract book, on the conference event app, in the course Slack group) with the other persons attending the same event. The purpose of this is to enable conference/course attendees to contact each other (prior to) after the conference/course for networking purposes.
Please be aware that a pdf file containing all abstracts may be sent out to all delegates approximately one week prior to the meeting.
If the conference you are attending has a mobile event app, the abstracts will be sent out to all delegates approximately two weeks prior to the meeting.
Service as an Invited Speaker
If you agree to speak at an EMBL event, we collect the information described in the previous section. Sometimes we may also request a biography and photograph. We collect this information to make it available to conference applicants and attendees. Accordingly, if you agree to speak at an EMBL event, we post on the respective event website your personal information (other than payment information), including your name, employer, physical work address, work email address, work telephone number and work fax number (mostly by means of directing to your institutional website. This is so that visitors to the EMBL website, including conference / course applicants, attendees and speakers can contact you with questions and requests for more information, and to provide feedback if needed.
Usage of Photographic and Video Material taken at EMBL Events
EMBL takes photographic and video material of participants at events. In registering for an EMBL event you acknowledge that we may include images of yourself intact or in part for material used in various publications, press releases, promotional activities, or other related endeavors. This material may also appear on the EMBL’s internet web page or related social media pages.
Usage of Social Media to Share Information
EMBL welcomes and encourages the use of social media by participants. As a courtesy to other members, as well as to presenters at such events, we ask that you follow accepted social media etiquette.
- Use the event-specific hashtag as communicated during the event for any related tweets
- Remember that unpublished data presented at EMBL events should be regarded as confidential, and should not be published
- Tweet about the conference and sessions (without sharing unpublished information or data)
- Gain express approval from a speaker or poster presenter prior to quoting or publishing that individual’s scientific results
- Be respectful in tone and content
- Mute your cellphone/laptop/tablet volume to avoid disrupting sessions
- Capture, transmit or redistribute data presented at the meeting - this may preclude subsequent publication of the data in a scholarly journal and/or patent protection. In case of doubt, please contact your technology transfer office
- Use offensive language in your posts
- Engage in rudeness or personal attacks
Cancellation of Registration by Participant
- Cancellation of registration must be submitted in writing or via email and is valid only with acknowledgement of receipt by the EMBL Course & Conference Office.
- Cancellation fees are dependent on the notice given.
- If cancellation occurs less than 7 days prior to the start of the event, the cancellation fee is 100% of the registration fee.
- If cancellation occurs between 7 days and 1 month prior to the start of the event, the cancellation fee is 50% of the registration fee.
- Earlier than 1 month, a cancellation fee of EUR 50 will be charged or 50% of the registration fee, whichever is the lower.
If payment has been made by the payment deadline of the event and a visa is not awarded in time to travel to the event, the full registration fee will be reimbursed. In this case, the visa rejection letter or proof that the visa application process has been initiated on time is required before reimbursement is processed.
Cancellation of Registration by EMBL due to Force Majeure
EMBL is entitled to reschedule, shorten, withdraw from or terminate (in all cases partially or completely) an event and any related services for factual reasons beyond the control of EMBL, such as fire, severe thunderstorm, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, terror threats, security / safety risks or flooding (“Force Majeure”) without this leading to EMBL being liable for any damages.
The termination pursuant to the cause of Force Majeure invalidates the parties’ mutual obligations. EMBL shall inform the participants without due delay.
In the event of a termination by EMBL due to Force Majeure, EMBL shall reimburse any payment made to it by the participants for services that have not been provided at the time of cancellation.
Code of Conduct
- EMBL is dedicated to providing a harassment-free learning experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), manner of articulation, or technology choices. Harassment of participants in any form is not tolerated by EMBL.
- We recognise the inherent worth of every person by being respectful to them. All forms of communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of different backgrounds.
- Participants violating these terms and conditions or the EMBL Code of Conduct may be asked to leave the conference/course/event without a refund at the sole discretion of the conference/course/event organisers and also banned from attending future conferences/courses/events organised by EMBL.
- Participants shall conduct themselves in such a manner so as not to jeopardise EMBL’s reputation during their participation in conferences/courses/events organised at EMBL. It must be clear that the participants are not representing EMBL.
- Participation is governed by EMBL Code of Conduct as well as applicable internal and national legislation.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or experience any violation of our code of conduct.
EMBL shall not as a result of the conference, course or related events be held liable for any damages, including:
- bodily injury to, or other impairment of health of, or death of, any person;
- damage to, loss of, or loss of use of any property;
- loss of revenue or profits; or
- other direct, indirect, or consequential damage caused by participation in any related event.
Participants are not covered by any EMBL medical or travel insurance and are required to make appropriate arrangements for their own medical, repatriation and travel insurance, including coverage for loss of, or damage to, their belongings.
In all cases, participants will be responsible for the cost of travel from their hometowns to the designated departure points and back, as well as for the costs of all non-sponsored meals, local transport and other living expenses. They will also have to make their own arrangements for passports, visas, travel insurance and medical insurance.
EMBL reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions without prior notice.
Pursuant to EMBL’s status as an Intergovernmental Organization, these terms and conditions shall be interpreted in accordance with their true meaning and effect and independently of any national or local law.
Solely insofar as these terms and conditions are silent, ambiguous or unclear, then, in those circumstances only and solely in respect of those circumstances and not in respect of the agreement as a whole, reference shall be made to German substantive law.
Any disputes under this agreement shall, to the extent possible, be settled amicably. That failing, you agree to submit any such dispute to final and binding arbitration under the expedited proceedings of the German Institution of Arbitration e.V. (DIS) and without recourse to the ordinary courts of law (the place of arbitration shall be Heidelberg, Germany).
EMBL reserves the right to amend any part of the course and conference programme at any time.
By participating in any such conferences/courses/events organized at EMBL, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. In the event that they are revised, you on-going consent will be sought.
Nothing in these terms and conditions is intended to nor shall confer any benefit on any third party.
Links to other Websites
The EMBL site contains links to third party websites or resources. Their inclusion does not imply any endorsement or approval by EMBL, and these are provided for your information and convenience only. EMBL accepts no responsibility of liability in respect thereof.