Read carefully through these terms and conditions, and the courses and conferences programme as these are subject to change at any given time by EMBL and without prior notice. Your agreement is required towards these terms and conditions before you can continue with your registration and payment process towards any EMBL event or course. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, do not proceed with registration of participation and payment. By registering and participating in any such conferences, courses, and/or events organized by EMBL, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. In the event that they are revised, your ongoing consent will be deemed accepted.
These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between EMBL and you.
Nothing in these terms and conditions is intended to confer nor shall confer any benefit on any third party.
If any provision(s) from these terms and conditions should be illegal or unenforceable in any respect, the legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions contained in these terms and conditions shall not be affected and the parties shall make efforts in good faith to replace any invalid or unenforceable provision with a valid and enforceable one so that the objectives of the terms and conditions may be maintained.
Payment of Registration Fees
- EMBL encourages online payments for course and conference registration fees. For payments that are made by bank transfer, all bank transfer fees must be covered by the participant and may not be deducted from the amount remitted. All registration data submitted to EMBL will be treated confidentially.
- Upon registration a confirmation email will be sent automatically to the registrant. Participants are advised to have a copy of their registration confirmation and payment slip when going to the registration desk at the event in case they are requested to show proof of payment upon their arrival.
- For events with registration on a first come first served basis, this confirmation email serves as proof of registration and specifies all event details included in the registration.
- For events with registration only after a prior selection process, the confirmation email serves as proof of pre-registration. The outcome of the final selection, and, for those registrants who have been selected, the invitation to complete the full registration and make the payment of the registration fees, will be communicated via email to each registrant.
- The specific registration conditions applicable to each event are listed on the event website.
Online Registration for EMBL events is subject to the following payment conditions:
- For events with registration on a first come first served basis, EMBL must receive the payments for the registration fees as detailed on the event webpage before the registration can be confirmed. Admittance to the conference cannot be permitted without prior receipt of payment or a valid proof of payment.
- For events requiring a pre-selection process, payment will be required only after the invitation to full registration. The selection process usually takes 3-4 weeks after the registration deadline. The selected registrants will be invited for full registration and payment of the registration fee via email.
- In some cases late registrations can also be paid onsite. Such payments may be subject to an additional late registration fee, details are specified on the events website.
- Credit card payments will be processed via a secure online payment module (WorldPay) included in the EMBL registration form. Registration fees charged in EUR will be debited in EUR, Registration fees charged in GBP will be debited in GBP.
- EUR payments may be made through Visa and Master Card and America Express. GBP payments may be made through Visa, Master Card and Maestro. Specific payment conditions for each event are listed on the event website.
Conference / Course Application and Admission Processes
Please note that registration and/or application shall only take place if there is serious commitment towards participation.
If your conference / course application is accepted (approved), you are expected to pay immediately to confirm your attendance and accommodations (if provided). In this regard, EMBL and its payment provider WorldPay collects your payment and billing information and will use such information to process your payments.
If you are accepted to a conference/course, we will use your personal information to:
- process your payments and thus your registration and facilitate your attendance at the event
- provide you with information regarding the conference / course, including scheduling and logistics
- provide you with other information that we believe may be of interest to conference / course attendees.
- promote our events with sharing pictures and video materials taken during the events
In case you share with us contact details of your emergency contacts, we will process those only in the case of emergency.
We may also share personal information (other than payment information) of conference/course attendees (e.g. in the abstract book, on the conference event app, in the Slack group) with the other persons attending the same event. The purpose of this is to enable conference/course attendees to contact each other (prior to) after the conference/course for networking purposes.
Please be aware that a pdf file containing all abstracts may be sent out to all delegates approximately one week prior to the meeting.
If the conference you are attending has a mobile event app, the abstracts will be sent out to all delegates approximately two weeks prior to the meeting.
Given that participation in a course is open based on prior evaluation of registration and/or application, it is EMBL’s sole discretion to evaluate and select the successful participants to the course. Furthermore, EMBL reserves the right to deactivate without any notice the account of registrants who for two consecutive times register for a course but fail to make the payment as required.
Service as an Invited Speaker
If you agree to speak at an EMBL event, we collect the information described in the previous section. Sometimes we may also request a biography and photograph. We collect this information to make it available to conference applicants and attendees. Accordingly, if you agree to speak at an EMBL event, we post on the respective event website your personal information (other than payment information), including your name, employer, physical work address, work email address, work telephone number and work fax number (mostly by means of directing to your institutional website. This is so that visitors to the EMBL website, including conference / course applicants, attendees and speakers can contact you with questions and requests for more information, and to provide feedback if needed.
Usage of Photographic and Video Material taken at EMBL Events
EMBL takes photographic and video material of participants at events. In registering for an EMBL event you acknowledge that we may include images of yourself intact or in part for material used in various publications, press releases, promotional activities, or other related endeavors. This material may also appear on the EMBL’s internet web page or related social media pages. Should you not agree to be part of the photographic and video material or would like to have your pictures deleted, please inform us thereabout via sent e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact one of our colleagues providing assistance during the event.
Usage of Social Media to Share Information
EMBL welcomes and encourages the use of social media by participants. As a courtesy to other members, as well as to presenters at such events, we ask that you follow accepted social media etiquette.
- Use the event-specific hashtag as communicated during the event for any related tweets
- Remember that unpublished data presented at EMBL events should be regarded as confidential, and should not be published
- Tweet about the conference and sessions (without sharing unpublished information or data)
- Gain express approval from a speaker or poster presenter prior to quoting or publishing that individual’s scientific results
- Be respectful in tone and content
- Mute your cellphone/laptop/tablet volume to avoid disrupting sessions
- Consider taking pictures or recording the event including other participants for your private use only and do not share the material more widely, unless those depicted in your material have consented to be shared publicly.
- Capture, transmit or redistribute data presented at the meeting - this may preclude subsequent publication of the data in a scholarly journal and/or patent protection. In case of doubt, please contact your technology transfer office.
- Use offensive language in your posts
- Engage in rudeness or personal attacks
Broadcast the conference to unregistered participants
Cancellation of Registration by Participant
- Cancellation of registration must be submitted in writing or via email and is valid only with acknowledgement of receipt by the EMBL Course & Conference Office.
- Cancellation fees are dependent on the notice given.
- If cancellation occurs less than 7 days prior to the start of the event, the cancellation fee is 100% of the registration fee.
- If cancellation occurs between 7 days and 1 month prior to the start of the event, the cancellation fee is 50% of the registration fee, unless the registration fee is less than 50 EUR in which case the cancellation fee is 100% of the registration fee.
- Earlier than 1 month, a cancellation fee of EUR 50 will be charged or 100% of the registration fee, whichever is the lower.
If payment has been made by the payment deadline of the event and a visa is not awarded in time to travel to the event, the full registration fee will be reimbursed. In this case, the visa rejection letter or proof that the visa application process has been initiated on time is required before reimbursement is processed.
A lack of participation or cancellation of participation in a course/conference for two consecutive times, for which financial assistance is provided, will be considered as lack of serious commitment towards participation in any EMBL courses/conferences. In this event, EMBL reserves the right to deactivate without any notice the account of registrants who do not demonstrate serious commitment towards participation to EMBL courses/conferences.
Cancellation of Registration by EMBL due to Force Majeure
Any circumstances beyond the reasonable control of EMBL, including but not limited to acts of nature, fire, severe thunderstorm, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, terror, threats, pandemics, local or international health crises, security / safety risks or flooding shall constitute “force majeure”. If the force majeure is affecting an EMBL event, EMBL will notify the participants of such event without undue delay.
When EMBL is subject to force majeure, it shall be released from the performance of its obligations relating to any events (partially or wholly) to the extent that such performance is affected by the force majeure.
EMBL may take reasonable steps to minimize the consequences of the force majeure on its events and it is entitled to reschedule or shorten (in all cases partially or wholly) an event and any performance related to such event.
For termination of contract concerning an event between EMBL and the participant due force majeure, this shall be without any liability for either party, except in so far as has accrued prior to the date on which the termination of the contract takes effect.
Each party to the contract concerning the event (EMBL and the participant) shall itself be responsible for all direct and indirect financial consequences affecting it as a result of or in connection with the force majeure. The occurrence of force majeure shall not entitle either party to any additional payment or compensation.
In the event of a cancellation due to force majeure, EMBL will reimburse a participant registered for the cancelled event any payment made to EMBL for participation in such event. Refunds are issued for events cancelled by EMBL. The reimbursement shall concern only payments made to EMBL for participation in the event and shall exclude for this purpose any other costs committed by participants or associated with their attendance in an EMBL event such as any travel, accommodation etc.
Code of Conduct
- EMBL is dedicated to providing a harassment-free learning experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof) or manner of articulation. Harassment of participants in any form is not tolerated by EMBL.
- We recognise the inherent worth of every person by being respectful to them. All forms of communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of different backgrounds.
- Participants violating these terms and conditions or the EMBL Code of Conduct may be asked to leave the conference/course/event without a refund at the sole discretion of the conference/course/event organisers and also banned from attending future conferences/courses/events organised by EMBL.
- Participants shall conduct themselves in such a manner so as not to jeopardise EMBL’s reputation during their participation in conferences/courses/events organised by EMBL.
- Participation is governed by EMBL Code of Conduct as well as applicable internal and national legislation.
- Please contact us at email@example.com if you have questions or experience any violation of our code of conduct.
EMBL shall be held free and harmless from any loss and damage, including personal injury and death and related legal costs, resulting from the acts or omissions of a participant to an EMBL conference, course or event.
Except in case of gross negligence or willful misconduct on its part, EMBL shall not be liable for any loss or damages, including but not limited to:
- damage to, loss of, or loss of use of any property;
- loss of revenue or profits; or
- any other direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage.
Participants are not covered by any EMBL medical or travel insurance and are required to make appropriate arrangements for their own medical, repatriation and travel insurance, including coverage for loss of, or damage to, their belongings.
In all cases, participants will be responsible for their cost of travel to the location of the conference, course or event, as well as for the costs of all meals not included in the programme of the event, local transport and other living expenses. Participants will also have to make their own arrangements for passports, visas, travel insurance and medical insurance. Should EMBL cancel an event due to force majeure, all such costs will continue to remain solely in the responsibility of the participants. EMBL shall have no responsibility for any such claims from the participants.
Any payment disputes, controversy or claim arising under or pursuant to these terms and conditions shall be settled, to the extent possible, amicably. That failing, you agree to submit any such dispute to final and binding arbitration under the expedited proceedings of the German Institution of Arbitration e.V. (DIS) and without recourse to the ordinary courts of law (the place of arbitration shall be Heidelberg, Germany; the language of the arbitration shall be English). Nothing contained in or related to these terms and conditions shall be deemed or interpreted as a waiver, express or implied, of any privileges and immunities accorded to EMBL by its constituent documents or international law.
Links to other Websites
The EMBL site contains links to third party websites or resources. Their inclusion does not imply any endorsement or approval by EMBL, and these are provided for your information and convenience only. EMBL accepts no responsibility of liability in respect thereof.